First #DevtIDEAS Debate: International Development: how experience changes our ideas
Join us as we launch Development Ideas with our first live #DevtIDEAS Debate!
This event has ended. View the video and summary of the event.
International Development: how experience changes our ideas
Over the past 50 years, thinking about “international development” evolved with the practical experience of developing countries. This dynamic continues today as facts on-the-ground transform the ideas and politics of development. The speakers will highlight three current examples: the debate on aid to middle-income countries; the shift in concern from absolute poverty to relative inequality; and, the changing sets of actors and problems in international development.
This event will be in English.
THIS EVENT HAS FINISHED: Read the summary and watch the video.
- Ravi Kanbur, T.H. Lee Professor of World Affairs, Cornell University
- Rohinton Medhora, President, Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI)
- Bruce Currie-Alder, Regional Director, Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
June 6, 2014 (13H00 UTC — 16H00 Amman, 14H00 London, 9H00 New York)
Register for updates and watch the live stream directly on the Google+ Event page (you do not need a Google account).
About Google+ Hangouts
We host our online debates on Google+ Hangouts as it is easily accessible and does not require you to download an application.
- You do not need a Google account to RSVP or watch the live broadcast.
- For best results, we recommend that you restart your computer before the session starts, close all other applications, and connect your computer directly to an Internet source, if possible.
- There will be a live Q&A box where you can enter your questions and comments during the debate (you need a Google account for this feature). If you do not have a Google account, you can ask questions on Twitter using the hashtag #DevtIDEAS or by posting a comment at the bottom of the event blog post (find thr link above or find it in the Discussion blog).
If you need any help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
#DevtIDEAS Debates are a series of live chats organized by Development Ideas — a space for thinkers and practitioners to learn, share and debate about international development. The site is facilitated by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), in collaboration with the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) and the United Nations University (UNU).